HBase, mail # user - Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server
Wei Tan 2014-03-14, 21:56
Hi All, we seem to have overcome this occasional exception by changing
HTable from being called through ConnectionManager vs. directly
instantiating  HTable.

OLD BAD:
connection = HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);

protected HTableInterface getHTable(String tableName) throws IOException
{
                 //Connection might have been closed since we acquired
it...create a
                 //new one if this is the case
                 if (connection == null || connection.isClosed())
                 {
                                 log.info("HConnection null or
closed...reopening");
                                 connection =
HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);
                 }

                 return connection.getTable(tableName);
}
NEW GOOD:
public HTableInterface getHTable(byte[] tableName) throws IOException
{
                 return new HTable(conf, tableName);
}

Comment on this link [0] is why they opted down the initial - BAD path:
". Instances of this class can be constructed directly but it is
encouraged that users get instances via HConnection and HConnectionManager
. See HConnectionManager class comment for an example. "
[0]
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HTable.html

We run the workload for a few days and it seems fine. We are not sure why
this occurs but somebody listens this thread may have a better idea.
Thanks for all your help!

Best regards,
Wei

Wei Tan, PhD