HBase >> mail # user >> Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server
Hi All, we seem to have overcome this occasional exception by changing
HTable from being called through ConnectionManager vs. directly
instantiating  HTable.

OLD BAD:
connection = HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);

protected HTableInterface getHTable(String tableName) throws IOException
{
                 //Connection might have been closed since we acquired
it...create a
                 //new one if this is the case
                 if (connection == null || connection.isClosed())
                 {
                                 log.info("HConnection null or
closed...reopening");
                                 connection =
HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);
                 }

                 return connection.getTable(tableName);
}
NEW GOOD:
public HTableInterface getHTable(byte[] tableName) throws IOException
{
                 return new HTable(conf, tableName);
}

Comment on this link [0] is why they opted down the initial - BAD path:
". Instances of this class can be constructed directly but it is
encouraged that users get instances via HConnection and HConnectionManager
. See HConnectionManager class comment for an example. "
[0]
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HTable.html

We run the workload for a few days and it seems fine. We are not sure why
this occurs but somebody listens this thread may have a better idea.
Thanks for all your help!

Best regards,
Wei

Wei Tan, PhD