 From: Ted Tuttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:19 AM
Subject: state-of-the-art method for merging regions on v0.94

Hello-

We recently realized our region size is 1G and need to increase it to get our region count under control.  I've done some research on merging regions and have come away confused.

There is the ops handbook:

http://hbase.apache.org/book/ops.regionmgt.html

And then there is this horror story:

http://metabroadcast.com/blog/so-you-broke-hbase

Is there someone out there that has done a large scale (i.e. 10:1 reduction on 10k's of regions) merge successfully on HBase 0.94?  If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Ted