From: Rohit Dev [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 6:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hbase tuning for heavy write cluster

Hi Kevin,

We have about 160 regions per server with 16Gig region size and 10
drives for Hbase. I've looked at disk IO and that doesn't seem to be
any problem ( % utilization is < 2 across all disk)

Any suggestion what heap size I should allocation, normally I allocate 16GB.

Also, I read increasing  hbase.hstore.blockingStoreFiles and
hbase.hregion.memstore.block.multiplier is good idea for write-heavy
cluster, but in my case it seem to be heading to wrong direction.

Thanks

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Kevin O'dell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rohit,
>
>   64GB heap is not ideal, you will run into some weird issues. How many
> regions are you running per server, how many drives in each node, any other
> settings you changed from default?
> On Jan 24, 2014 6:22 PM, "Rohit Dev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are running Opentsdb on CDH 4.3 hbase cluster, with most of the
>> default settings. The cluster is heavy on write and I'm trying to see
>> what parameters I can tune to optimize the write performance.
>>

>> # I get messages related to Memstore[1] and Slow Response[2] very
>> often, is this an indication of any issue ?
>>
>> I tried increasing some parameters on one node:
>>  - hbase.hstore.blockingStoreFiles - from default 7 to 15
>>  - hbase.hregion.memstore.block.multiplier - from default 2 to 8
>>  - and heap size from 16GB to 64GB
>>
>>  * 'Compaction queue' went up to ~200 within 60 mins after restarting
>> region server with new parameters and the log started to get even more
>> noisy.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest if I'm going to right direction with these
>> new settings ? or if there are other thing that I could monitor or
>> change to make it better.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> [1]
>> INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion: Blocking updates
>> for 'IPC Server handler 19 on 60020' on region
>>
>> tsdb,\x008XR\xE0i\x90\x00\x00\x02Q\x7F\x1D\x00\x00(\x00\x0B]\x00\x008M(r\x00\x00Bl\xA7\x8C,1390556781703.0771bf90cab25c503d3400206417f6bf.:
>> memstore size 256.3 M is >= than blocking 256 M size
>>
>> [2]
>>  WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: (responseTooSlow):
>>
>> {"processingtimems":17887,"call":"multi(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.MultiAction@586940ea
>> ),
>> rpc version=1, client version=29,
>> methodsFingerPrint=0","client":"192.168.10.10:54132
>> ","starttimems":1390587959182,"queuetimems":1498,"class":"HRegionServer","responsesize":0,"method":"multi"}

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.