HBase, mail # dev - Re: Major compaction issues in hbase

Re: Major compaction issues in hbase
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2014-02-02, 21:46
Hi Yaniv,

When there is more than 3 files for a region (default setting), HBase will
trigger a minor compaction for this region. However, if all the regions
need to be compacted, then it will promote it as a major compaction. So
even by disabling major compaction so can still see some of it in the logs.

If you can run major compaction one a day it's better than once a week.
Also, this might be related to your design (too many column families?),
your usage and your configuration (compaction triggers, memory
configuration, etc.).

JM