HBase, mail # user - Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download - 2014-02-03, 22:23

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download
Sorry to join the party a little late. I have two pieces of feedback for
the RC. Because of 2.1 and 2.2, I am also -1 on this RC.

1. Smoke tests - I ran the standard internal smoke tests - they all passed.
2. Binary/API incompatibilities:
  1. Scan.setSmall(boolean) return type changed, which will cause a binary
incompatibility between 0.96 and 0.98
  2. HTableDescriptor.isDeferredLogFlush was removed, which will cause a
binary incompatibility between 0.96 and 0.98. We should add it back with
default response of 'true'
  3. KeyValue constructors removed (known issue, but we should make sure to
document)
  4. ServerName constructors removed (known issue, but we should make sure
to document)

For 2.1 and 2.2:
Exception from testScanMeta:  -> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.Scan.setSmall(Z)V
Exception from testIsDeferredLogFlush:  ->
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HTableDescriptor.isDeferredLogFlush()Z
The full report of Public API diffs can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~jmhsieh/hbase_jdiff_report-p-0.96-c-0.98/changes.html
I will continue examining the report and I'd encourage folks to do the same.