Flume >> mail # user >> avro source vs syslog source in flume

avro source vs syslog source in flume
I have to make a flume topology in which I can divide the events based on
some header value to different sinks through selectors.

My logging script is implemented in php, and this php script writes to
syslog which then forwards the events to a pre-configured flume node.

Could anyone tell me which is better between avro and syslog sources, in
terms of performance,implementation and understanding?
And is it even possible to write avro messages through php?
Mohit