Flume >> mail # user >> Fastest way to get data into flume?

RE: Fastest way to get data into flume?
I tried to do a proof of concept with Netcat source with 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 and it failed miserably - I was able to make a change to improve it's performance, arguably a bug fix (I think socket acknowledgement it was expecting) but Netcat source was still my bottle neck.

Have you read the blog on performance tuning - I'm not sure where you are in your flume implementation but I found it helpful.  https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/flume_performance_tuning_part_1 & https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/apache_flume_filechannel

Since you need persistent storage I believe your only option still is the file channel.  To get the performance you need you'll need dedicated disks for the queue and write ahead log - I had good luck with a solid state drive.  With a single disk drive performance was awful.

To get the throughput I wanted with compression I had one source tied to 6 file channels with compression on each channel.  Perhaps there is a better way but that is how I got it working.

We also configured Forced Write Back on centos boxes serving as flume agents.  That was an optimization our IT Operations team made that helped throughput.  That is a skill I don't have but I believe it does put you at risk of data loss if the server fails because it does more caching before flushing to disk.

We are currently fluming between 40 and 50 billion log lines per day (10-12TB of data) from 14 servers "collector tier" sinking the data to 8 servers in the "storage tier" that writes to HDFS (MapR's implementation) with problem.  We had no problem with 1/2 the servers however we configured fail over and paired up the servers for this purpose.  Which by the way works flawlessly - able to pull one server out for maintenance and add back in no problem.

Here are some high level points to our implementation.

1.  Instead of netcat source I made use of the Embedded Agent - When I created an event to flume (EventBuilder.withBody(payload, hdrs)) I put a configurable number of log lines in the payload, usually 200 lines of log data.  Ultimately I went away from text data all together and serialized 200 avro "log objects" as a avro data file byte array and that was my payload.

2.  Keep your batch size large.  I set mine to 50 - so 10,000 log lines (or objects) in a single batch.

3.  You will get duplicates so be prepared to either customize flume to prevent duplicates (our solution) or write map reduce jobs to remove duplicates.
Regards,

Mike