Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47

On May 15, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> Arun,
>
> am I reading yours answer to my binary question correctly? It is a 'no'.

No.

> My reading of your response is that while you appreciate the feedback
> Bigtop is providing you're not of an opinion that investigating the level
> of stability of Hadoop wrt. downstream any further than what is currently
> happening would be a worthy investment of Hadoop's community
> (or your personal for that matter) time?

Everyone is welcome to contribute in any and all manner. I can't speak for everyone.
It would be useful if Bigtop could run regressions on releases here consistently. We've also talked in the past about running Bigtop on branch-2, nightly. Is that something you could help with? You'd earn my personal gratitude.

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Roman,
>>
>> Furthermore, before we rush into finding flaws and scaring kids at night it would be useful to remember one thing:
>> Software has *bugs*. We can't block any release till the entire universe validates it, in fact they won't validate it if we don't release since are at the bottom of the stack.
>>
>> Any help prior to the release is welcome; I know people who work for the same employer as I do have plans to do further testing after we freeze apis via the beta release(s). I hope and pray others can join this effort - thanks to everyone who already has.
>>
>> Again, freezing APIs and protocols is the primary aim of 2.0.5-beta. There are no guarantees it's 100% bug-free, we can never make such guarantees anyway.
>>
>> If, and when, we find bugs with 2.0.5-beta I'm more than happy to quickly turn around and make more releases (2.0.6-beta, 2.0.7-beta). Obviously I'll make a call on which bugs are critical - feedback to help me decide is, as always, welcome.
>> I've been clear, many times, that we might need more than one beta release to iron out bugs etc.
>>
>> None of this should be a surprise - this has happened many, many times in the lifetime of this and other projects. 2.0.3-alpha vis-a-vis 2.0.4-alpha is the most recent example - it won't be the last.
>>
>> So, I hope, concludes this meme.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> On May 15, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> Great summary, thanks Vinod.

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19