Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

On May 15, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> Arun,
>
> am I reading yours answer to my binary question correctly? It is a 'no'.

No.

> My reading of your response is that while you appreciate the feedback
> Bigtop is providing you're not of an opinion that investigating the level
> of stability of Hadoop wrt. downstream any further than what is currently
> happening would be a worthy investment of Hadoop's community
> (or your personal for that matter) time?

Everyone is welcome to contribute in any and all manner. I can't speak for everyone.
It would be useful if Bigtop could run regressions on releases here consistently. We've also talked in the past about running Bigtop on branch-2, nightly. Is that something you could help with? You'd earn my personal gratitude.

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Roman,
>>
>> Furthermore, before we rush into finding flaws and scaring kids at night it would be useful to remember one thing:
>> Software has *bugs*. We can't block any release till the entire universe validates it, in fact they won't validate it if we don't release since are at the bottom of the stack.
>>
>> Any help prior to the release is welcome; I know people who work for the same employer as I do have plans to do further testing after we freeze apis via the beta release(s). I hope and pray others can join this effort - thanks to everyone who already has.
>>
>> Again, freezing APIs and protocols is the primary aim of 2.0.5-beta. There are no guarantees it's 100% bug-free, we can never make such guarantees anyway.
>>
>> If, and when, we find bugs with 2.0.5-beta I'm more than happy to quickly turn around and make more releases (2.0.6-beta, 2.0.7-beta). Obviously I'll make a call on which bugs are critical - feedback to help me decide is, as always, welcome.
>> I've been clear, many times, that we might need more than one beta release to iron out bugs etc.
>>
>> None of this should be a surprise - this has happened many, many times in the lifetime of this and other projects. 2.0.3-alpha vis-a-vis 2.0.4-alpha is the most recent example - it won't be the last.
>>
>> So, I hope, concludes this meme.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> On May 15, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> Great summary, thanks Vinod.

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/