MapReduce >> mail # user >> what does the yarn.nodemanager.aux-services stand for

Re: what does the yarn.nodemanager.aux-services stand for
Hi,

The function of yarn.nodemanager.aux-services is to run any custom
Service [1] implementations from the user, in the YARN NodeManager's
runtime. The "aux" stands for auxiliary.

One such example of where this comes useful is the ShuffleHandler [2]
service, which helps MR do its shuffle work, without needing the NM
itself to provide a shuffle service unnecessarily (in case MR is not
required). Therefore, a ShuffleHandler is necessary to be configured
if you need to run MR2 apps (jobs), but not otherwise. A clear
difference, in case you're confused between MR2 and YARN, can be found
at [3].

Do feel free to ask any further questions you have.

[1] -  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2/hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/service/Service.java?view=markup
[2] - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2/hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-shuffle/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/ShuffleHandler.java?view=markup
[3] - http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/10/mr2-and-yarn-briefly-explained/

--
Harsh J