HBase, mail # user - Hash indexing of HFiles

+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-15, 12:32
+
Michael Segel 2011-07-15, 14:48
+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-15, 14:58
+
Stack 2011-07-15, 16:24
+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-15, 17:06
+
Stack 2011-07-16, 20:08
+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-18, 11:04
+
Stack 2011-07-18, 16:05
+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-18, 16:22
+
Stack 2011-07-18, 16:32
+
Casey Stella 2011-07-19, 01:02
+
Claudio Martella 2011-07-19, 10:15
+
Casey Stella 2011-07-19, 12:33
+
Eric Charles 2011-07-16, 08:38
Re: Hash indexing of HFiles
Michel Segel 2011-07-16, 12:11
Eric,
It depends...
1) does it work well enough?
2) I'm a contractor so it's not my call. It's up to my client. Having said that, I think that if our tests go well, it might get out to git hub. At least that's our plan.

But there's definitely more work to be done in terms of testing and tweaking the code.

Mike Segel

On Jul 16, 2011, at 3:38 AM, Eric Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15/07/11 16:48, Michael Segel wrote:
>>
>> Claudio,
>>
>> I'm not sure on how to answer this...
>>
>> Yes, we've got a prototype of a Lucene on HBase w Spatial that we're starting to test.
>>

> That's Cool Michael.
> Is there a chance to read more on your prototype ?  ;)
>

>> With respect to hashing...
>> In one project we just hashed the key using the SHA-1 hash already in Java. This gave us the randomness without having to try to build a separate index.
>> But we're still using the base key for the row. Its not like we're creating a secondary index on a column value.
>>
>> There are a couple of other projects out there on Git Hub so you may want to check them out.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> -Mike
>>

>>> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:32:50 +0200
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> Subject: Hash indexing of HFiles
>>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> at SIGMOD this year i've seen a spreading of different storage files for
>>> HBase, with different techniques. My scenario and usage doesn't really
>>> require range queries, so I thought I'd take advantage of even faster
>>> random i/o from hash indexing of data in each sequence file.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know if anybody has developed other indexing techniques for
>>> sequence files other than Btrees?
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Claudio Martella
>>> Free Software&  Open Technologies
>>> Analyst
>>>
>>> TIS innovation park
>>> Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
>>> 39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
>>> Tel. +39 0471 068 123
>>> Fax  +39 0471 068 129
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.tis.bz.it
>>>
>>> Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time and without formalities you can write an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] in order to object the processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n. 19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web
> site www.tis.bz.it.
>>>

> --
> Eric Charles
> http://about.echarles.net