Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 02:33
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 03:50
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 16:31
Tom White 2012-08-29, 17:30
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 17:42
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:02
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 17:13
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:26
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 18:41
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 17:04
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:22
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:49
Tom White 2012-08-29, 20:34
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 20:40
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 21:18
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 13:46
Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-30, 06:41
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:29
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 16:17
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:44
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-30, 02:59
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:54
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK I lied and said I wouldn't reply :)

Long thread. I just picked a random Chris's (as the initiator) email to reply.

Chris,
You are basically saying there's been a history of community problems
in Hadoop project,
and proposing a technical solution to split the project by replicating
the source base under three new names,
implying that this will solve the community problems we (the Hadoop
community) are facing.

I see several issues.

1. There are other ways to split the project.
We essentially have a "natural" split of the project already in place.
Hadoop 1, Hadoop 2, Hadoop 0.23, the Trunk
are in a sense competing projects by themselves, with own contributors
and release cycles.

2. From technical (not community) viewpoint your "svn copy" is an ugly
approach,
as it creates a lot of code duplication and will result in a
maintenance nightmare or / and
will require many man-months to fix. My point is that you cannot
neglect "technical issues" when you solve community problems.

3. I am as skeptical as Todd that the community problems will be
solved by simply TLP-ing the three projects.
Two years ago Hadoop was in crises as vendors were producing their own
releases calling it Hadoop.
I think this was solved, but "poor community behavior" and contentions
remained, embrace them or not.

4. Having said the above, separating the projects seems reasonable.
(See timing though)
HDFS will inevitable have to inherit and maintain most of Common.
Totally understand frustration of people who just put a huge effort
into merging
the sources back under common root.

5. Timing is important.
Waiting until Hadoop 2 is stable as Arun suggested earlier would
probably be too long.
Doing it next week, without discussing and solving technical issue
listed in the thread would be premature.
I think Hadoop 0.23.3 release backed by Yahoo production has a
potential to become
the next stable version, letting the project to move ahead off the
four year old code base.
We should help that happen first, and do necessary preparations for
the split in the mean time.

Thanks,
--Konstantin
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 14:11
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-30, 14:23
+
Brock Noland 2012-08-30, 14:43
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-31, 01:28
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:02
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:15
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:42
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:50
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-31, 16:59
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:10
+
Jagane Sundar 2012-08-31, 17:24
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:11
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 07:55
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-31, 14:34
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 15:09
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 16:00
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 16:08
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-09-01, 00:23
+
Sharad Agarwal 2012-09-01, 09:59
+
Mahadev Konar 2012-08-31, 15:05
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:36
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 13:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 10:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 11:00
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-30, 00:16
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 00:55
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:34
+
Jakob Homan 2012-08-29, 21:22
+
Travis Thompson 2012-08-29, 22:30
+
Steve Loughran 2012-08-31, 11:54
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 14:14
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-29, 15:17
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 17:22
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 03:45
+
Michael Segel 2012-08-29, 17:26
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:48
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:20
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:46
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:02
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-30, 07:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 12:29
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:35
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-29, 23:53
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:47
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:48
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:52
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-30, 16:33
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 17:00
+
Owen OMalley 2012-08-30, 18:25
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-31, 19:00
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 20:44
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-31, 22:43
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:19
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:38
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:06
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 06:18
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:17
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:27
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:32
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:47
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:40
+
Jun Ping Du 2012-08-29, 18:35
+
Chris Douglas 2012-08-31, 01:24
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-08-31, 03:35
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-08-31, 15:59
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-01, 13:21