Avro >> mail # user >> Properties on union schema?

+
Christophe Taton 2013-07-14, 02:01
+
Connor Doyle 2013-07-14, 02:15
+
Christophe Taton 2013-07-15, 17:57
+
Doug Cutting 2013-07-15, 18:25
+
Christophe Taton 2013-07-16, 07:40
Re: Properties on union schema?
We've promised to maintain forward and backward compatibility until
version 2.0.  There have been a number of incompatible schema changes
requested over the history of Avro, but none have yet been made.  If
we ever decide to make any, we should perhaps try to make them all at
once and provide good conversion tools.

Doug

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Christophe Taton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> How far back is it reasonable to maintain backward and/or forward
> compatibility?
>
> Assuming there is a limit to the forward compatibility requirement, could we
> introduce the ability to read schemas with extended union descriptors,
> without the ability to write such descriptors, and introduce the ability to
> write after enough releases have passed?
>
> Thanks,
> C.
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> The reason is simply that the JSON syntax for union schemas doesn't
>> permit properties.  To support properties we'd need to add an
>> alternate syntax for unions, but I don't see how to do that
>> compatibly, so that an old client seeing one of the new union schemas
>> would still be able to process the data.
>>
>> For example, the syntax might be something like:
>>
>> {"type":"union", "branches":[...], "prop1":"val1", ...}
>>
>> But that would cause errors in every existing implementation.
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Christophe Taton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm toying with a few changes to provide alternative representations of
>> > union fields in Java (somewhat related to
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-248).
>> > To experiment with this, I'd like to set properties on union schemas,
>> > but
>> > properties are currently disabled on unions.
>> > Is there a particular reason for this, or is it a reasonable change to
>> > allow
>> > properties on unions?
>> > Thanks,
>> > C.