Josh,

     When I dug into the code a little more, I saw that both
AvroPathPerKeyOutputFormat and AvroParquetPathPerKeyOutputFormat use "part"
as a default when creating the basePath when there is not a value for
"mapreduce.output.basename".  My guess is that when running via a
SparkPipeline that value is not set.  I changed my local copy to use out0
as the defaultValue instead of part, and the job was able to write output
successfully.

Thanks,
    Dave