Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:15AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 06:06 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > Are you suggesting to drop 0.22 out of the picture all together? Any
> > reason for that?
>
> By no means.  I thought that we might, as Scott Carey said, treat 0.22
> as a minor release in the 1.x series.  I'd prefer that we consistently
> rename branches (0.20.x becomes 1.0.x, 0.21.x becomes 1.1.x, etc.).

Thanks for the explanation. I see your point in 1.?.x renames. My only concern
is that it might suggest that to the users that 1.2.0 (e.g. current 0.22) is a
sort of natural continuation from 1.0.0 (current 0.20.x) and the upgrade would
be easy and automatic. Which isn't necessary the case, IMO.

Separating them in two major versions won't be sending such a message.

> We're rapidly falling into the trap of putting too much significance in
> a version number, seeking some sort of marketing boost by declaring 1.0.
>  We can sidestep this by simply dropping the leading 0. and henceforth
> referring to things as 20, 21, 22, etc.  This minimizes confusion, since
> there's no significant renaming, it gets us around the marketing issue
> of still being pre-1.0, and it keeps us from putting too much importance
> into version numbers.

I guess this might work too.

Cos