How close are we to a release candidate? Commits to master are paused,
so let's either make an RC soon or re-open the branch to commits.

Michael and I seem to be deadlocked on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1981. Michael gets a
build error every time, I never get a build error or a runtime error.
(I got one once - due to stale jars on my class path, I think.)

Can someone else please try to reproduce the build error? Then we'll
know whether it's me or Michael who has a messed-up environment.

Julian