Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know which are the ones in 'every single downstream component' - care to enumerate?
>
> The ones I'm aware of, which have since been fixed are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4510 -> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2412 (we fixed the internal HDFS apis so that HBase can continue to use them)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2125 -> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-3138 (
> we fixed MR to allow apps deal with inconsistency in 'new' MR apis which changed in 0.21).
>
> I'm not aware of anything else - what else do you see?
>
> In summary, please take a careful look at the 'factual information' before you decide to proclaim your beliefs
> about important aspects such as 'incompatibility' - it's key to ensure we don't confuse end-users and have a smooth adoption of newer releases.

First of all, I would appreciate if you refrain from statements that
sound like you're lecturing me on public mailing list.

Here's what I said. Let me spell it out once again:

"I believe that by now we have enough factual evidence that at least
framework-level APIs are incompatible."

Here's the umbrella Bigtop JIRA that tracks those incompatibilities:

Nowhere in my email I implied that I *know* of  cases where user-level
APIs would break. That said,
without a formal verification of backwards compatibility I can NOT
make the inverse statement as well.
That's why I used "at least" which according to a dictionary has
connotations of "according to the lowest
possible  assessment; not less than".

Once again, I'm in no position to asses the level of API compatibility
of user-level APIs. That's where
your expertise comes in. However, please do NOT tell me that I'm not
in a position to make a statement
about framework-level APIs where I spend a significant amount of time
(together with Tom and Alejandro)
patching every single downstream component (except HBase -- I didn't
patch it myself) to make it at least
compile against .23.

Hope this helps to cut down on confusion.

Thanks,
Roman.