HBase >> mail # user >> Setting up NxN replication

Re: Setting up NxN replication
Ishan,

have to admit that I am a bit surprise about the need of have data center
in 10 different locations. Well, I guess I shouldn't be, as every company
is global now(anyone from Mars yet?)

In your case, since there is only one column family. The headache is not as
bad. Let's call your clusters as C1, C2, ... C10

The safest way for your most critical data is still have setup the M-M
replication by 1 to N-1. That is every cluster add the rest of clusters as
its peer. For example C1 will have C2, C3...C10 as its peers; C2 will have
C1, C3.. C10. Well, that will be a lot of data over the network. Although
it is the best/fast way to get all the cluster sync-up. I don't like the
idea at all(too expensive for one).

Now, let's improve it a bit. C1 will setup M-M to 2 of the rest 9, and
carefully planned the distribution so that all the clusters will get equal
load. Well, a system administrator has to do it manually.

Now, thinking about the headache:
1) what if your company(that is your manager who has no idea how difficult
it is) decide to have one more column family to be replicated?  how about
two more? The load will grow exponentially
2) how about your company have a new office in the 11th locations? again,
grow exponentially
3) let's say you are the best administrator, and keep nice record of
everything (unforturnatly, Hbase alone doesn't have a good way to maintain
all the record of who is being replicated). And then, the admin left the
company? or this is a global company has 10 admin at different locations.
How do they communicate of the replication setup?

:-) Well, the 3) is not too bad. I just like to point it out as it can be
quite true for a company large enough to have 10 locations

Demai