From: "Bejoy KS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:35:48 AM
Subject: Re: Hive insert into

Hi Abhi

When you say INSERT INTO in hive it needn't be a file append. In hive the data corresponding to a table/partition is in a directory, data is stored as one or more files within those.

AFAIK when you do insert into, a new file is created in the directory along with old files. So hdfs file append needn't come to picture here.
Regards
Bejoy KS