Zookeeper, mail # user - Authentication mechanism

Authentication mechanism
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-21, 19:46
Hi,

I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe a scenario first.

1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g. XyzAuthenticationProvider which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider option.
2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any ACL of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.
3. At this stage, any ZooKeeper client without any authInfo ( who hasn't invoked org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo ) are permitted to do anything!!  e.g. It can create znodes under "/" and etc.

This is what I verified with my test using zookeeper_server-3.4.3 and zookeeper-3.4.3 client library.

Here come some questions.

1. Is the above scenario true?
2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of znode-level ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode when it comes without a valid authInfo?

Regards,
Jaewoong
+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-11-22, 21:23