Zookeeper >> mail # user >> adding/removing a zookeeper server

+
Mohammad Abdul-Amir 2012-04-26, 21:46
Re: adding/removing a zookeeper server
See #6 in the FAQ: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/FAQ

Also, FYI, we recently open sourced a ZooKeeper supervisor app that makes
these kinds of tasks simpler:

https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor

-Jordan

On 4/26/12 2:46 PM, "Mohammad Abdul-Amir (Shamma)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been searching through the zookeeper documentation and the web for
>information about reconfiguring a zookeeper ensemble. More precisely I am
>interested in adding/removing zookeeper servers to/from a zookeeper
>ensemble. Unfortunately, I could not find much information around,
>therefore I am bringing up the issue on this list.
>
>My questions are:
>
>- Is there a safe procedure to add a zookeeper server to a zookeeper
>ensemble?
>- Is there a safe procedure to remove a zookeeper server from an existing
>ensemble?
>
>Some posts I have read suggest that these operations are possible. The
>described procedure is to rewrite a new zookeeper configuration to all
>involved servers and to restart them. However, given that I could not find
>any information about how to carry out these two operations in zookeeper's
>documentation makes me nervous about relying on the described procedure.
>
>I would appreciate if anyone can point me to a different procedures to
>carry out add/remove operations, or convince me that it is safe to use the
>procedure described above. Safety for me is two-fold: zookeeper database
>can not get corrupted (unusable), and state updates can not get lost.
>
>--
>Mohammad Abdul-Amir (Shamma)
+
Mohammad Abdul-Amir 2012-04-26, 22:55