Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib

+
Christopher 2013-05-06, 21:26
+
Josh Elser 2013-05-06, 21:57
+
Josh Elser 2013-05-06, 21:59
Re: Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib
If we do this, then we should add a version file of some variety to make it
easy to determine.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, it make things more difficult to determine version-mismatch across a
> system if someone is not using the RPMs/DEBs. Perhaps pidgeon-hole'ing
> non-RHEL/Debian based (GNU/)linux's?
>

> On 5/6/2013 5:57 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
>
>> Personally, it's really nice to me when I'm wondering "what version of
>> Accumulo is installed?" and I can easily answer that with an `ls`.
>>
>> However, by the same argument, bundling a version file somewhere is just
>> as trivial and fits the same use-case (sans my ability to remember that
>> said file exists and where it lives).
>>
>> On 5/6/2013 5:26 PM, Christopher wrote:
>>
>>> Why do we need the version part of the filename in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that it would be cleaner to unpack the tarball on top
>>> of an existing $ACCUMULO_HOME/ and overwrite the jars in lib/.
>>>
>>> For the RPM/DEB, the versions of the files are tracked in the RPMDB
>>> (or equivalent DEB database), so they aren't needed there either.
>>>
>>> It would make our scripts slightly more manageable (files have a
>>> predictable name that doesn't need to be updated each version).
>>>
>>> I'm curious what the argument(s) against dropping the version from the
>>> jars in lib/ are.
>>>
>>> The way we copy jars currently to lib/ is with the
>>> maven-dependency-plugin, and that already has a built-in feature to
>>> drop the version part of the filename when it copies. It seems to make
>>> sense, and I see no argument against it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

+