Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

Re: [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
I like Alejandro's idea about Maven for a few of reasons:
  - bringing in a scripting environment which is known for its inter-version
    idiosyncrasies just because Windows can't handle trivial shell scripting
    looks like an overkill to me
  - relative to above, there's a chance that Python's pre-requisites used in
    Hadoop might get into a conflict with some other components in the stack.
    This will be a nightmare for the integrator projects i.e. Bigtop
  - Maven is de-facto standard for Java stacks
  - Maven has built-in scripting language (Groovy) if some plugins aren't
    sufficient for achieving whatever goals

Addressing Matt's later point about non-Mavenized Hadoop-1 line: it uses Maven
stuff suchs as deploy/install via custom ant tasks. Same approach would work
for saveVersion.sh and others, I am sure.

Cos