Hive, mail # user - difference between add jar in hive session and hive --auxpath

+
java8964 java8964 2013-03-07, 22:47
RE: difference between add jar in hive session and hive --auxpath
Venkatesh Kavuluri 2013-03-08, 00:44
If properly done, "add jar <jar-file>" should work the same as passing the jar with --auxpath. Can you run "list jars;" command from CLI or Hue and check if you see the jar file.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: difference between add jar in hive session and hive --auxpath
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:47:26 -0500

Hi,
I have a hive table which uses the jar file provided from the elephant-bird, which is a framework integrated between lzo and google protobuf data and hadoop/hive.
If I use the hive command like this:
hive --auxpath path_to_jars, it works fine to query my table,
but if I use the add jar after I started the hive session, I will get ClassNotFoundException in the runtime of my query of the classes in those jars.
My questions are:
1) What is the different between hive --auxpath and "add jar" in the hive session?2) This problem makes it is hard to access my table in the HUE, as it only supports "add jar", but not --auxpath option. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Yong
+
java8964 java8964 2013-03-08, 17:53