Pig >> mail # user >> Cross Product of Two Tuples?

+
Eli Finkelshteyn 2012-04-04, 18:18
+
Herbert Mühlburger 2012-04-04, 18:24
+
Prashant Kommireddi 2012-04-04, 18:24
Re: Cross Product of Two Tuples?
That's for a relation only. Unless I'm missing something, it does not
work for tuples. What I'm doing what require a FOREACH, I'm thinking.

Eli

On 4/4/12 2:24 PM, Prashant Kommireddi wrote:
> http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.9.1/basic.html#cross
>
> -Prashant
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Eli Finkelshteyn<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm currently trying to do something I figured would be trivial, but
>> actually wound up being a bit of work for me, so I'm wondering if I'm
>> missing something. All I want to do is get a cross product of two tuples.
>> So for example, given an input of:
>>
>> ('hello', 'howdy', 'hi'), ('hola', 'bonjour')
>>
>> I'd get:
>>
>> ('hello', 'hola')
>> ('hello', 'bonjour')
>> ('howdy', 'hola')
>> ('howdy', 'bonjour')
>> ('hi', 'hola')
>> ('hi', 'bonjour')
>>
>> At first, I figured I could FLATTEN(TOBAG(tuple1, tuple2)), but that's no
>> good cause the tuples are first themselves put into new tuples. So, what
>> I'm left with no is writing a dirty and slow python udf for this. Is there
>> really no better way to do this? I'd think it would be a pretty standard
>> task.
>>
>> Eli

+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-04-04, 18:43