HBase, mail # user - major compaction and regionserver failure...

+
Andy Sautins 2011-12-10, 18:37
Re: major compaction and regionserver failure...
Mikhail Bautin 2011-12-10, 20:49
Hi Andy,

Compaction queues are not persisted between regionserver restarts, and the
results of an incomplete compaction are discarded. Compactions write into
an HFile in a temporary location and only move it to the region/CF
directory in case of success (at least, this is how it works in trunk).

Thanks,
--Mikhail

On Saturday, December 10, 2011, Andy Sautins wrote:

>   I was wondering if someone could tell me what happens if a regionserver
> fails during major compaction.  Are the entries that were in the compaction
> queue for the failed regionserver migrated along with the regions to
> another server or are those requests for major compaction effectively lost
> for that run of major compaction?  I guess what I'm really asking is do I
> still get a full major compaction of all regions or do I lose the major
> compactions of the regions that were in the queue on the failed
> regionserver.
>
>   Any insight would be much appreciated.   We are currently running HBase
> 0.90.3-cdh3u1.

+
Andy Sautins 2011-12-10, 22:25
+