Pig >> mail # dev >> CHANGES.txt in branches

Hi devs,

I noticed there is a misalignment in CHANGES.txt between 0.11 and trunk.
It seems some people are putting patches on top in both versions of
the file, while other are putting changes that get into 0.11 in the
0.11 section of the trunk file.

Let me show an example:

This is 0.11

Pig Change Log

Release 0.11.0 (unreleased)

INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES
PIG-1891 Enable StoreFunc to make intelligent decision based on job
success or failure (initialcontext via gates)

IMPROVEMENTS
PIG-2947: Documentation for Rank operator (xalan via azaroth)

PIG-2943: DevTests, Refactor Windows checks to use new Util.WINDOWS
method for code health (jgordon via dvryaboy)

PIG-2794: Pig test: add utils to simplify testing on Windows (jgordon via gates)

PIG-2908: Fix unit tests to work with jdk7 (rohini via dvryaboy)

PIG-2965: RANDOM should allow seed initialization for ease of testing (jcoveney)

PIG-2964: Add helper method getJobList() to PigStats.JobGraph. Extend
visibility of couple methods on same class (prkommireddi via
billgraham)
And this is trunk:

Pig Change Log

Trunk (unreleased changes)

INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES

IMPROVEMENTS

PIG-2943: DevTests, Refactor Windows checks to use new Util.WINDOWS
method for code health (jgordon via dvryaboy)

PIG-2966: Test failures on CentOS 6 because MALLOC_ARENA_MAX is not
set (cheolsoo via sms)

PIG-2793: Pig test: add utils to simplify testing on Windows (jgordon via gates)

PIG-2908: Fix unit tests to work with jdk7 (rohini via dvryaboy)

OPTIMIZATIONS

BUG FIXES

PIG-2928: Fix e2e test failures in trunk: FilterBoolean_23/24
(cheolsoo via dvryaboy)

Release 0.11.0 (unreleased)

INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES
PIG-1891 Enable StoreFunc to make intelligent decision based on job
success or failure (initialcontext via gates)

IMPROVEMENTS

PIG-2947: Documentation for Rank operator (xalan via azaroth)

PIG-2910: Add function to read schema from outout of Schema.toString()
(initialcontext via thejas)

PIG-2965: RANDOM should allow seed initialization for ease of testing (jcoveney)

PIG-2964: Add helper method getJobList() to PigStats.JobGraph. Extend
visibility of couple methods on same class (prkommireddi via
billgraham)

Notice how PIG-2943, PIG-2793, PIG-2908 are marked as appearing in
trunk in trunk and in 0.11 in 0.11.
PIG-2910 is in 0.11 in trunk but not in 0.11 (I guess it is a small mistake).
So, what's the correct behavior?
Do we mark a patch in CHANGES.txt at the earliest place it appears in
the code (so that CHANGES.txt is consistent across releases)?
Or do we treat the branches independently, and thus we put each patch
always at the top?

Personally, I put PIG-2947 in the 0.11 section in trunk, but I don't
have a strong opinion on it (as long as we are consistent).

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco
+