Hadoop >> mail # general >> Update on hadoop-0.23

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-10-17, 17:17
+
Ted Yu 2011-10-17, 20:27
+
Harsh J 2011-10-19, 01:56
+
Steve Loughran 2011-10-18, 09:36
+
Steve Loughran 2011-10-18, 11:36
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-10-18, 23:40
+
Steve Loughran 2011-10-19, 09:35
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-26, 21:07
+
郭顺旭 2011-10-18, 08:52
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-26, 22:15
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-27, 06:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-27, 06:40
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-27, 19:24
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-09-27, 19:56
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-28, 20:55
+
Jeff Hammerbacher 2011-09-29, 18:00
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-09-29, 19:35
Re: Update on hadoop-0.23
On 09/29/2011 12:35 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> If you're wondering why I am asserting that arun and company have
> done the majority of the work on 23, check out the last graph on this
> post, or look at the commit logs.

The ASF discourages the use of Java's @author tag in large part because
it tends to mark code as the territory of particular contributors.  We
want ASF codebases to be the responsibility of an entire community.

Claiming that one party has contributed more than all others together
seems to me to be a similar claim of ownership and a demand for credit.
 Folks should contribute to the ASF because they want the contributions
of others to join their contributions, not so they can gain credit.

Also, I'd be concerned for the health of a project if one group was
really doing nearly all of the contribution.

> http://www.hortonworks.com/the-yahoo-effect/

Hmm.  Lines of code are not proportional to effort.  The stacked
cumulative histogram makes slopes steeper for those who happen to be on
top.  And the codebase did not start from zero in 2006.

Here are some other reports for 0.23 that make contribution look pretty
diverse and healthy.

http://s.apache.org/tI
http://s.apache.org/9mp
http://s.apache.org/6E2