MapReduce, mail # user - Re: VM reuse!

+
Rahul Bhattacharjee 2013-04-16, 11:33
Re: VM reuse!
bejoy.hadoop@... 2013-04-16, 16:45
Hi Rahul

AFAIK there is no guarantee that 1 task would be on N1 and another on N2. Both can be on N1 as well.

JT has no notion of JVM reuse. It doesn't consider that for task scheduling.
Regards
Bejoy KS

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul Bhattacharjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:13:54
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VM reuse!

Agreed.

Not sure about the behavour of JT.Consider the situation.

N1 has split 1 and split 2 of a file and there are two map slots.N2 has
split 2 and it also has one mapper slot. I think the JT would probably
schedule a single map in N1 and another map in N2.For better parallel IO.
Rather than scheduling two mappers in N1 and no task in N2.

I do not think the JT considers whether VM reuse is enabled.However it can
consider this into account along with data locality aspect. When a job
writer asked for VM reuse then its would not be entirely wrong to assume
that there might be certain things in the job which takes long time to
initialize and hence making reuse suitable. In those scenarious , JT might
consider allocating multiple mappers in a single node.

Thinking aloud , the situation that you have mentioned is quite possible in
a unbalanced cluster. Where the data is distributed within a small set of
nodes of the entire cluster.

Thanks,
Rahul