Hadoop, mail # general - LimitedPrivate and HBase

+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 16:45
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-06, 17:00
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 17:36
+
Stack 2011-06-06, 18:34
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 20:45
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-06-06, 23:22
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 23:34
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 00:56
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:05
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 01:08
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:18
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 01:23
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:33
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-06-08, 16:17
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-08, 16:39
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-06-09, 16:28
+
Tom White 2011-06-09, 17:27
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-09, 17:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2011-06-09, 17:56
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-09, 18:02
Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-13, 16:51

On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Tom White wrote:

> We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
> (note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
> deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?
Thanks for doing the search Tom.

Rather than just flip them all to public, I'd like to propose the following:

a) LimitedPrivate APIs to non-Hadoop projects are allowed to exist for 1 minor release.
b) When a LimitedPrivate to non-Hadoop project is created, a blocker JIRA for the next release is created.
c) That JIRA should be used to determine whether the API should go private or public, and if the latter, what interface changes are required.

This gives us a roadmap to make determinations on whether the LimitedPrivate API was a success or not and gives us a timeline as to when they go away, rather than just hanging around forever in a limbo state.

I suspect that most of these will go public anyway, but it would be good to have some documentation on the how's, why's, etc.  This could also be used to allay the fears of a "bad" public interface.
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-13, 17:10
+
Sanjay Radia 2011-06-14, 19:58