Flume >> mail # user >> Question about flume versioning in 1.3.1

+
Utkarsh Sengar 2013-01-30, 00:16
+
Connor Woodson 2013-01-30, 00:29
+
Utkarsh Sengar 2013-01-30, 00:39
+
Brock Noland 2013-01-30, 00:44
+
Utkarsh Sengar 2013-01-30, 01:05
Re: Question about flume versioning in 1.3.1
The way I usually go about extending Flume is to create a separate project
and include Flume as a dependency; from there, after packaging my code as a
.jar, it can be placed in a plugins.d/ directory as outlined
here<https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/trunk/flume-ng-doc/sphinx/FlumeUserGuide.rst#installing-third-party-plugins>.
This way you don't have to recompile the whole Flume project as you bug-fix.

Although, if you are looking to do more extensive modification of Flume,
then your approach is probably the best.

As to getting that dependency added to the lib folder: after it's added in
the parent's pom, is it referenced in any of the modules? If not, I don't
think maven will touch it, so add that dependency to wherever you are using
it. If it's not something needed for compiling, you can add the dependency
with a runtime scope (<scope>runtime</scope>) it whichever module uses it
and it should then still be included in the lib folder.

- Connor