Hive >> mail # dev >> branch for ptf and windowing fuction

+
Ashutosh Chauhan 2013-02-01, 18:11
+
Carl Steinbach 2013-02-01, 19:31
Re: branch for ptf and windowing fuction
+1.

This is certainly very useful work.

Ashish
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Carl Steinbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> +1
>
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Harish and Prajkta are doing some cool work over at
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-896 IMO its a very useful
> > feature for the community and our user base. Harish and Prajkta are
> making
> > steady progress on this for much last year in their github repo
> > https://github.com/hbutani/hive and much of the feature is now
> functional.
> > However, its quite a bit of work and new code which will take some time
> > before being ready for trunk. I propose that we create a new branch so
> that
> > further development  of this happens in apache repo instead of github
> repo.
> > This gets us few benefits:
> > a) It will avoid the situation we ended up with HiveServer2 where a
> useful
> > new functionality came but in one big patch which made its review and
> thus
> > inclusion in mainline harder than it should have been.
> > b) Obvious advantages of development getting done in apache as oppose to
> > github which are:
> >      i) It will make it easier for apache hive community members
> interested
> > in this work (like me) to follow progress.
> >     ii) It will make it easier for apache hive community members
> interested
> > in this work to contribute.
> >     iii) It will make it easier for apache community members to review
> the
> > work and provide feedback.
> >
> > I further propose that we follow Commit-than-review policy for this
> feature
> > branch which will enable contributors to make rapid progress without
> > waiting for lengthy review cycles. Hive committers interested in work can
> > either review branch any time they want to provide feedback or can wait
> > till contributors declare work is complete and make a proposal to merge
> in
> > trunk and than review it than. This anyway is a throwaway branch not
> > intended to make releases out of it.
> >
> > Unless I hear any objections, I will create a branch over the weekend.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ashutosh

+
Shreepadma Venugopalan 2013-02-01, 23:07
+
Brock Noland 2013-02-01, 23:52
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-02-02, 01:47