Avro >> mail # user >> Map Reduce Jobs bound to "String" StringType

Map Reduce Jobs bound to "String" StringType
Hi,

am I right with saying: When using the Map Reduce new API, there are always
Java Strings created for avro string types?

I know about the "avro.string.type" property but even when leaving this
untouched, I get Strings.

In AvroRecordReaderBase there is a ReflectDatumReader instantiated

 mAvroFileReader = createAvroFileReader(seekableFileInput,

        new ReflectDatumReader<T>(mReaderSchema));
and in this this method is always called:
  @Override

  protected Object readString(Object old, Decoder in) throws IOException {

    return super.readString(null, in).toString();

  }
Is there a way to circumvent this and keep using Utf8?
Cheers,
Johannnes
+
Doug Cutting 2013-08-13, 17:28