Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta

Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta

On Apr 25, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> With that in mind, I really want to make a serious push to lock down APIs and wire-protocols for hadoop-2.0.5-beta.
>> Thus, we can confidently support hadoop-2.x in a compatible manner in the future. So, it's fine to add new features,
>> but please ensure that all APIs are frozen for hadoop-2.0.5-beta
>
> Arun, since it sounds like you have a pretty definite idea
> in mind for what you want 'beta' label to actually mean,
> could you, please, share the exact criteria?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but, as I mentioned above, the primary aim would be make the final set of required API/write-protocol changes so that we can call it a 'beta' i.e. once 2.0.5-beta ships users & downstream projects can be confident about forward compatibility in hadoop-2.x line. Obviously, we might discover a blocker bug post 2.0.5 which *might* necessitate an unfortunate change - but that should be an outstanding exception.

Hope that helps.

thanks,
Arun