HBase >> mail # user >> how do counters work, client api?

how do counters work, client api?
Where can I read up on how counters work with hbase?

Does it have some sort of api like:

hbaseClient.incrementAndGet()

Since things are distributed, I would imagine actually acting on the
counter value is not really possible since unless the thing acting on the
counter is single threaded right?