Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-30, 01:25
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 02:26
+
Chuan Liu 2012-11-30, 03:22
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-30, 04:27
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 11:21
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 12:57
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:29
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 14:02
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 13:49
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-02, 18:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 00:29
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 13:40
+
Jitendra Pandey 2012-11-30, 22:49
Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:48
On 30 November 2012 13:40, Radim Kolar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  inline ant scripts
>>>
>>> =0. Ant's versioning is stricter; you can pull down the exact Jar
>>> versions,
>>> and some of us in the Ant team worked very hard to get it going
>>> everywhere.
>>> You don't gain anything by going to .py
>>>
>> there are sh scripts inside maven ant plugin stuff

Which is because there are some things you can't do in Java -run rpmbuild
to pick up file permissions and hanging symlinks that only become valid on
deployment.

The reason Ant is used to start them is Maven views trying to run native
scripts as a forbidden action - probably popping up some patronising text
"you are trying to run a shell script, please look at
maven.apache.org/wiki/whymavenwontletyoudothings/ to understand this; they
also view building RPMs as not something to encourage either.

(but we digress into an ant vs maven argument. I do actually appreciate the
consistent target naming across projects and the ability for the IDE to set
up  structure, it's just the entire underlying architecture and
implementation that I dislike)
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+