MapReduce >> mail # user >> Fwd: libhdfs causes JVM to crash due to SIGSEGV

Fwd: libhdfs causes JVM to crash due to SIGSEGV
Hi,

I tried sending this message earlier, but I think I may not have been
subscribed yet as it doesn't seem to have gone through. Apologies if you
have already received it, then.

I've been working on adding a feature to our project that uses libhdfs to
store data in HDFS. I've written a simple unit test in our project using
Google C++ Testing Framework that calls hdfsListDirectory. When I run the
unit test, I get a message like the following:

#
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f41fc4c5dd2, pid=12639, tid=139921370916640
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b15) (build
1.7.0_45-mockbuild_2013_10_21_06_40-b00)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode linux-amd64
compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x5dfdd2]  JNI_CreateJavaVM+0x602
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core
dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# *omitted*
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit:
#   http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
#

However, if I run the same unit test under GDB and set GDB to ignore all
SIGSEGV signals, the test works as intended and there is no crash. I have
also tried building a very simple test program that just runs
hdfsListDirectory and prints out the contents and that works fine (and I am
even linking against the same libhdfs.a as I'm using in the aforementioned
unit test). Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this and
how I can fix it?

Thank you for your time.

-- Jim