Hive, mail # user - What is hive doing wrong?

What is hive doing wrong?
Ashutosh Chauhan 2012-05-26, 19:36
Actually, whats more interesting is Shark. I attended one of the meetup
here in Bay Area couple of months back where Chris presented Shark. Had a
follow-up conversation with Matei after that. They have an interesting goal
of making (unaltered) Hive queries run on Spark running on cluster managed
by Mesos. Not just simple hive queries but all the extension point of the
system including udfs, udafs, serde, input/output format etc. My
understanding was that they let Hive parser parse the query. But instead of
generating Map-reduce operator they compile it into spark primitives and
then run it on Spark. I still haven't understood how is it possible to then
seamlessly absorb udfs/serde etc since those tie closely to execution layer
of MR. But, I haven't spend enough time on it.

Its an interesting goal to strive for and promise is to make your queries
go faster since Spark caches data in memory, instead of brute force
scanning of MR and thus hive. In their canonical example hive query which
use to take 24 hrs on hadoop cluster finishes in 45 minutes on spark
cluster.
http://shark.cs.berkeley.edu/
https://github.com/amplab/shark