MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Versions - Confusion

+
Suresh S 2013-04-26, 05:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-04-26, 21:34
+
Suresh S 2013-04-27, 12:30
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-04-27, 17:30
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-01, 05:45
Re: Versions - Confusion
Hi i have two questions regarding hdfs and jps utility

I am new to Hadoop and started leraning hadoop from the past week

1.when ever i start start-all.sh and jps in console it showing the
processes started

*naidu@naidu:~/work/hadoop-1.0.4/bin$ jps*
*22283 NameNode*
*23516 TaskTracker*
*26711 Jps*
*22541 DataNode*
*23255 JobTracker*
*22813 SecondaryNameNode*
*Could not synchronize with target*

But along with the list of process stared it always showing *" Could not
synchronize with target" *in the jps output. What is meant by "Could not
synchronize with target"?  Can some one explain why this is happening?
2.Is it possible to format namenode multiple  times? When i enter the
 namenode -format command, it not formatting the name node and showing the
following ouput.

*naidu@naidu:~/work/hadoop-1.0.4/bin$ hadoop namenode -format*
*Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.*
*
*
*13/05/01 12:08:04 INFO namenode.NameNode: STARTUP_MSG: *
*/*************************************************************
*STARTUP_MSG: Starting NameNode*
*STARTUP_MSG:   host = naidu/127.0.0.1*
*STARTUP_MSG:   args = [-format]*
*STARTUP_MSG:   version = 1.0.4*
*STARTUP_MSG:   build https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1.0 -r
1393290; compiled by 'hortonfo' on Wed Oct  3 05:13:58 UTC 2012*
*************************************************************/*
*Re-format filesystem in /home/naidu/dfs/namenode ? (Y or N) y*
*Format aborted in /home/naidu/dfs/namenode*
*13/05/01 12:08:05 INFO namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG: *
*/*************************************************************
*SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at naidu/127.0.0.1*
*
*
*************************************************************/*

Can someone help me in understanding this? Why is it not possible to format
name node multiple times?
Regards,
Naidu
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have put together this chart some time ago and am trying to keep it up to
> date (more or less). The most latest update is available here:
>   http://is.gd/axRlgJ
>
> Sometimes picture worth a lot... you know ;)
>   Cos
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:09AM, Suresh S wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >         I was confused with Hadoop versioning.
> > I found that,  some people working on version starting with "0".
> > Some others, working on version starting with "2".
> > Also, i was confused with "branch".
> >
> > Which version is really current version.
> > *Regards*
> > *S.Suresh,*
> > *Research Scholar,*
> > *Department of Computer Applications,*