HBase, mail # dev - performance testing

performance testing
Dave Latham 2011-05-25, 04:14
While working on HBASE-3894 I was wondering what the best way to test
performance sensitive patches to HBase was.  There is the
o.a.h.h.PerformanceEvaluation class, but it doesn't appear have been really
touched in close to a year, and I haven't heard much mention of it on the
mailing lists in awhile.  (The numbers at
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/PerformanceEvaluation are even further
out of date).  Does anyone have a good sense of the usefulness of this tool?

There's also YCSB, which I've seen more people mention recently.  However,
the book says "TODO: Describe how YCSB is poor for putting up a decent
cluster load." ( http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#d470e4848 ) so I get the
sense that it's not a great test for HBase.

Are there any others?

Does anyone have thoughts about the best way to run hbase through some
benchmarks to evaluate how patches may affect performance?  Would it be
worth trying to build a new set of benchmarks for hbase, or taking one of
these existing ones and improving it some way?

Dave