MapReduce, mail # user - how to implement error thresholds in a map-reduce job ?

Re: how to implement error thresholds in a map-reduce job ?
David Rosenstrauch 2011-11-15, 20:55
I can't think of an easy way to do this.  There's a few not-so-easy
approaches:

* Implement numErrors as a Hadoop counter, and then have the application
which submitted the job check the value of that counter once the job is
complete and have the app throw an error if the counter exceeds the
threshold.  (Not exactly what you're asking, since this wouldn't cause
the job to fail in error, but rather you would monitor the job and cause
your app to fail in error if needed.)

* Store the numErrors counter externally - say in Apache Zookeeper or
Redis - and have each map task increment the counter and fail the job if
it exceeds the threshold.  Again, though, some issues to work around
here:  due to speculative execution, Hadoop might submit extra map
tasks, so this could throw off the counter.  You'd have to make sure to
only increment the counter when a map tasks completes successfully.

HTH,

DR