Zookeeper, mail # user - Recovery time (was: Maximum size of a snapshot)

Recovery time (was: Maximum size of a snapshot)
Flavio Junqueira 2013-07-17, 10:30
Moving the discussion to dev but keeping user on CC.

Let's step back. The reason why we started the latest discussion in this thread was because Kishore is concerned about recovery time. There are a number of improvements we have been looking at for the next release, let me go over my current understanding of the main points that add to the recovery time:

1- Before we even start leader election, each server loads state from disk to determine its last zxid. The last zxid is used in the election;
2- Once the leader is elected, it loads state from disk and take a snapshot. Loading the database again is unecessary (ZOOKEEPER-1642) and the snapshot adds latency. In fact, it is not even correct to have it there (ZOOKEEPER-1558).
3- A follower takes a snapshot before acknowledging the NEWLEADER message, so the leader has to wait until a quorum of followers finishes their snapshot.

The proposal I've heard here is to touch (1). For now, I'd rather keep (1) as is and focus on fixing (2). We might be able to do something about (3) and I'm actually not sure if there has been a discussion about it or not.

-Flavio

+
Flavio Junqueira 2013-07-17, 13:43
+