Hadoop, mail # user - Similar frameworks like hadoop and taxonomy of distributed computing

Re: Similar frameworks like hadoop and taxonomy of distributed computing
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-01-12, 02:54
Here's some links to it:

Long Version: http://csse.usc.edu/csse/TECHRPTS/2008/usc-csse-2008-820/usc-csse-2008-820.pdf
Shorter Version (published in WICSA): http://wwwp.dnsalias.org/w/images/3/3f/AnatomyPhysiologyGridRevisited66.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

On Jan 11, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Also check out my paper on The Anatomy and Physiology of the Grid Revisited just Google for it where we also tried to look at this very issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 11, 2012, at 3:55 PM, "Brian Bockelman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 11, 2012, at 10:15 AM, George Kousiouris wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> see comments in text

>>> I think that a strict definition would be an implementation of the map-reduce computing paradigm, for cluster usage.

>>> It can be used to enable cloud services through a service oriented framework, like we are doing in
>>> http://users.ntua.gr/gkousiou/publications/PID2095917.pdf
>>>
>>> in which we are trying to create a cloud service that offers MapReduce clusters as a service and distributed storage (through HDFS).
>>> But this is not the primary usage. This is the back end heavy processing in a cluster-like manner, specifically for parallel jobs that follow the MR logic.

>>> I could see some similarities with condor, mainly in the job submission processes, however i am not really sure how condor deals with parallel jobs.
>>>

>> Since you asked…
>>
>> <condor-geek>
>>
>> Condor has a built-in concept of a set of jobs (called a "job cluster").  On top of its scheduler, there is a product called "DAGMan" (DAG = directed acyclic graph) that can manage a large number of jobs with interrelated dependencies (providing a partial ordering between jobs).  Condor with DAG is somewhat comparable to the concept of Hadoop tasks plus Oozie workflows (although the data aspects are very different - don't try to stretch it too far).
>>
>> Condor / PBS / LSF / {OGE,SGE,GE} / SLURM provide the capability to start many identical jobs in parallel for MPI-type computations, but I consider MPI wildly different than the sort of workflows you see with MapReduce.  Specifically, "classic MPI"  programming (the ones you see in wide use, MPI2 and later are improved) mostly requires all processes to start simultaneously and the job crashes if one process dies.  I think this is why the Top10 computers tend to measure mean time between failure in tens of hours.
>>
>> Unlike Hadoop, Condor jobs can flow between pools (they call this "flocking") and pools can naturally cover multiple data centers.  The largest demonstration I'm aware of is 100,000 cores across the US; the largest production pool I'm aware of is about 20-30k cores across 100 universities/labs on multiple continents.  This is not a criticism of Hadoop - Condor doesn't really have the same level of data-integration as Hadoop does, so tackles a much simpler problem (i.e., bring-your-own-data-management!).
>>
>> </condor-geek>
>>
>> Brian

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist