Avro, mail # user - improve performance of avro map reduce jobs

+
ey-chih chow 2011-06-24, 23:55
+
ey-chih chow 2011-06-25, 13:27
+
Ron Bodkin 2011-06-25, 14:27
RE: improve performance of avro map reduce jobs
ey-chih chow 2011-06-26, 13:25

I have not done a through investigation.  But from what I was told is that the amount of network data push among the nodes of our cluster is very low.  Most of the time seems to be local computation.

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:27:17 -0700
Subject: Re: improve performance of avro map reduce jobs
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To me, Avro offers a big benefit to MapReduce jobs by having a well-defined file format that defines the schema for records that was used to write it, is splittable, compressable, and has metadata. Ultimately, I'd like to see that and a binding layer on top of data serialization and more flexibility for serialization in Avro (e.g., why not be able to use its APIs but Protobuf for binding).

That being said, I'm curious where you see the CPU going in your jobs? Where in the Avro serialization is it spending its time? I suspect that GenericData isn't nearly as performant as using codegen.