HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 17:51
+
Stack 2013-01-08, 18:21
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 18:32
Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release
bq. depends on other communities because quite a bit seems broken on JDK 7
so I hear

I have been running tests using 1.6.0_37 for trunk. Tests run smoothly so
far.

FYI

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > That said, I think we should make up a list of what people want to see
> > in,
> > > and what could/should be excluded after we find that consensus.
> > >

> > High-level, we have had this discussion IMO ([3]).  Would you like to do
> it
> > again Andrew?
> >
> > Otherwise, I think folks need to bubble up critical issues (or strike
> them
> > down) and if any controversial, lets discuss them?
> >

> Some time has elapsed since that discussion, I think we should do it again.
>
> For example, the notion of running on JDK 7 is new, and depends on other
> communities because quite a bit seems broken on JDK 7 so I hear. The creep
> of "-Djava.net.preferIPv4=true" among Hadoop ecosystem projects is also a
> concern, and it bothers me that HDFS tests seem DOA without it on my dev
> box, so this also isn't something we are going to be able to solve entirely
> on our own. So while I think these are serious concerns, I have mixed
> feelings about them being prerequisites for a 0.96 release.
>
> A bunch of hard thoughtful intermingled work is underway in RPC and HFile
> and other places, so that we only need to do a "singularity" once. We
> should do a feature based release for this, not a time based one, is my
> opinion. As for everything else, setting a target and seeing what falls in
> or out based on that is worth doing.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy