Hadoop >> mail # user >> Throwing an IOException in Map, yet task does not fail

Throwing an IOException in Map, yet task does not fail
Hello,
I have given a case where my mapper should fail. That is, based on a
result it throws an exception
if(res==0) throw new IOException("Error in code!, see stderr/out");
,
When i go to the JobTracker website, e.g
http://tracker.com:50030/jobdetails.jsp?jobid=job_200903051709_0024&refresh=30
and click on one of the running tasks, I see an IOException in the
errors column.
But on the jobtracker page for the job, it doesn't fail - it stays in
the running column , never moving to the failed/killed columns (not
even after 10 minutes)

Why so?
Regards
Saptarshi Guha