Accumulo >> mail # user >> Waiting for accumulo to be initialized

+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 14:10
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 14:27
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 14:29
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 14:44
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 14:47
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 14:52
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 15:20
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 15:23
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 15:31
+
Josh Elser 2013-03-27, 15:50
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 19:18
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 19:33
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 19:39
+
Eric Newton 2013-03-27, 20:19
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 20:45
+
Krishmin Rai 2013-03-27, 21:00
+
Aji Janis 2013-03-28, 12:56
+
Josh Elser 2013-03-27, 19:40
Re: Waiting for accumulo to be initialized
Well, it was a test data so saving it wasn't high priority but a 'nice to
have'. Prior to asking the question here, I checked out this blog
http://apache-accumulo.1065345.n5.nabble.com/Re-init-Accumulo-over-existing-installation-td345.html
.
So I knew data would be lost.

The reason I ask about saving data is because we are not quite sure why
zookeeper got hosed in the first place and if this issue happened in Prod I
like to have some suggestions handy for saving data.

Responding inline...
Zookeeper crashing (or even `kill -9`ing) should have no effect on Hadoop.
Did Hadoop come up correctly before you tried to restart Accumulo?
-- Yes.

Did you then do the `hadoop namenode -format` and expect to keep your data?
If so, lesson learned?
-- Prior to trying hadoop reformat (since I knew it be destructive) I tried
zookeeper to stop cleanly - hoping that might clean up something - clearly
not. I am fairly new to this so definitely lesson learned.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  First off, I'm sorry about you losing data. I thought you recognized that
> this would be destructive on your data reading that link you sent out. I
> wasn't really advising you from a "saving data" standpoint.
>
> Zookeeper crashing (or even `kill -9`ing) should have no effect on Hadoop.
> Did Hadoop come up correctly before you tried to restart Accumulo? Did you
> then do the `hadoop namenode -format` and expect to keep your data? If so,
> lesson learned?
>

> On 3/27/13 3:18 PM, Aji Janis wrote:
>
> Eric and Josh thanks for all your feedback. We ended up *loosing all our
> accumulo data* because I had to reformat hadoop. Here is in a nutshell
> what I did:
>

>    1. Stop accumulo
>    2. Stop hadoop
>    3. On hadoop master and all datanodes, from dfs.data.dir
>    (hdfs-site.xml) remove everything under the data folder
>    4. On hadoop master, from dfs.name.dir (hdfs-site.xml) remove
>    everything under the name folder
>    5. As hadoop user, execute.../hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format
>    6. As hadoop user, execute.../hadoop/bin/start-all.sh ==> should
>    populate data/ and name/ dirs that was erased in steps 3, 4.
>    7. Initialized Accumulo - as accumulo user,  ../accumulo/bin/accumulo
>    init (I created a new instance)
>    8. Start accumulo
>
>  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or thoughts on how I could
> have solved the original issue of accumulo waiting initialization without
> loosing my accumulo data? Is it possible to do so?

+
Aji Janis 2013-03-27, 15:48