Avro >> mail # user >> Getting started with Avro + Reading from an Avro formatted file

Re: Getting started with Avro + Reading from an Avro formatted file
> Also my understanding is that I must 'install' or deploy Avro before I can try out the C bindings suggested by Douglas. I am stating this since I am not exactly clear by what this meant: -  "especially since the C bindings don't have any library dependencies to install". I am assuming it means, I don't need anything beyond a basic install of Avro.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.  And you're right — you'd need to download, compile, and install the Avro C bindings, but they don't require any *additional* libraries to be installed.  It's a pretty standard set of CMake build scripts, and there's an INSTALL file in the tarball containing more detailed instructions.

(I should also point out that in the next release, 1.6.2, the C bindings will support the zlib and lzma compression codecs.  You'll need to have the zlib and xz/lzma libraries installed for those to work.  If you don't have those libraries, you can still install the Avro C bindings; you just won't be able to read or write Avro data files that use the corresponding codecs.)

–doug