HBase, mail # user - Re: Secondary indexes suggestions

+
lars hofhansl 2012-08-15, 00:08
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-15, 01:59
Re: Secondary indexes suggestions
Michael Segel 2012-08-15, 02:38
I think you need to think outside of the box...

I've thought about it a little more and while there's validity to indexing at the RS, there's a bit more of a headache.

But I think you've been too dismissive of looking at the index at the table level and not at the region level.

On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:59 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Lars,
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yep. It's not simple if (and only if) you data is changing a lot. Michael is right though, that it is simple problem if your data is static.
>
> Yeah, a good option for that are MR processes that emit in one shot
> HFiles for bulk import of infrequent updates into the primary table
> and all projections/materializations/indices. We have an application
> that does this in production.
>
>> Todd Lipcon and I were talking last week. And he mentioned primitives like logged updates,operations that will eventually complete, and as long as log-replay can be forced before a read operation they can be used for consistent indexes.
>
> Back to HBASE-3340 again. :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
>   - Andy

> Hein (via Tom White)