HBase >> mail # user >> Allowed upper limit to HColumnDescriptor.setMaxVersion(..)?

+
Micah Whitacre 2011-10-04, 16:20
+
Doug Meil 2011-10-04, 16:36
Re: Allowed upper limit to HColumnDescriptor.setMaxVersion(..)?
I guess what I'm asking is there a way to set "infinite" or no max
bounds on versions (e.g. setMaxVersion(-1) possibly)?  Or do I have to
call setMaxVersion(Integer.MAX_VALUE) or setMaxVersion(<some large
guess>)?  If a large guess is the way to go, what sort of overhead
costs might we need to consider when finding the right balance point
between room to grow and the maintenance support cost of needing to
expand later?

We plan on building MapReduce jobs to clean up versions based on some
conditions so the value shouldn't get that large but the conditions
for cleaning up those versions might be decided by other consumers of
the service.  So having room to grow is ideal.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Doug Meil
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there-
>
> re:  "i don't care store them all"
>

> What do you mean?
>

> On 10/4/11 12:20 PM, "Micah Whitacre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>In reading the documentation all I've seen suggestions on how to set
>>the value and the default value.  However I haven't seen any
>>indication how to set the value to "i don't care store them all" or if
>>there is a maximum bounds aside from Integer.MAX_VALUE.  Does anyone
>>know?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Micah
>>
>>[1] -